Downstream Defender® and Up-Flo® Filter help Monterrey to eliminate flooding and reuse treated stormwater to irrigate trees in a public…
Capture sediment, heavy metals, oil and nutrients from stormwater while reducing your site footprint and cutting maintenance costs.
The Up-Flo® Filter is an advanced stormwater treatment system that combines sedimentation and screening with filtration to deliver exceptional surface water pollution removal.
Verified to remove 80% TSS but with demonstrated removal rates up to 98%, only the Up-Flo® Filter was developed in collaboration with the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Up-Flo® Filter is an advanced stormwater best management practice (BMP) that combines sedimentation and screening with filtration to capture sediment, oils, heavy metals and nutrients from stormwater runoff, achieving total suspended solids (TSS) removal rates of up to 98%.
Up-Flo® Filter is a flexible, high-performance treatment solution that can be customized to meet US National Permit Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) requirements specific to a municipality or state. Designed with efficiency, longevity and upkeep in mind, the Up-Flo® Filter has high loading rates and long media life, which means you'll get high quality water treatment for longer periods between servicings.
- Very fine particles
- Trash and floatables
- Liquid and sediment bound hydrocarbons
- Sediment bound heavy metals
- Sediment bound nutrients
The Up-Flo® Filter is perfectly suited to industrial sites, locations contributing runoff to wetlands/protected regions, or any area requiring a high level of treatment.
- Remove solids, nutrients and metals from runoff
- Source control for redevelopment or new construction
- Treatment of Water Quality Volume detention systems
- Sites operating under industrial or multi-sector general permits
- Low-impact development (LID), sustainable drainage (SuDS), LEED® and water-sensitive urban design (WSUD) projects
Approvals, Certifications & Verifications:
- New Jersey Corporation for Advanced Technology (NJCAT)
- NJDEP Certification
- Washington State Technology Assessment Protocol - Ecology (TAPE) General Use Level Designation (GULD)
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality BMP Clearinghouse (Ribbons) 50% phosphorus removal
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality BMP Clearinghouse (CPZ) 40% phosphorus removal
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality BMP Clearinghouse (EMC) 40% phosphorus removal
- California Water Boards Full Trash Capture
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- ISO 14034 Verified to Satisfy ETV Canada Requirements
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- Texas Commission of Environmental Quality
Deliver exceptional treatment on any catchment
The Up-Flo® Filter's modular filtration components allow you to adapt your design to meet the needs of any catchment area, capturing the specific levels of trash, silt and sediment, oils, metals and nutrients required.
Get two-stage treatment in a single unit
The Up-Flo® Filter combines pretreatment, screening and filtration, delivering highly efficient multi-stage treatment in one device.
Save site space
The Up-Flo® Filter's higher loading rates result in a smaller treatment footprint, which saves construction time and money, and makes for an easier installation.
No moving parts means that there’s less opportunity for treatment disruption or breakage, while the system design is suited to long-term maintenance. Longer media life means you can go longer between service, and media bags are easily removed and replaced while media cartridge modules stay put during maintenance.
- Stormwater enters the chamber via an inlet pipe or inlet grate and ﬁlls the chamber, as ﬂow is directed up through the angled screen and Filter Modules.
- Trash, gross debris and sediment settle out in the sump. Oil and ﬂoatables rise to the surface of the water.
- Treated water ﬂows out of the Filter Module to the Outlet Module and into the outlet pipe.
- Excess ﬂows are discharged to the outlet using a Siphonic Bypass, which also acts as a ﬂoatables bafﬂe preventing the escape of oil and ﬂoatable trash.
- To guard against pollutant leaching and filter media degradation between storm events, water drains out of the chamber through the ﬁltered Drain Down Port as the storm subsides.
Up-Flo® Filter enabled a supplier to the aerospace and electronics industry to cut its discharge of metals and TSS to become compliant with…
Stormwater treatment solution helps new food production facility in Essex, UK meet planning requirements
Two Up-Flo™ Filters and one Downstream Defender® advanced vortex separator were installed together to meet the required Total Suspended…
One of the first UK stormwater treatment solutions using Hydro International’s innovative Up-Flo™ filtration technology has enabled…
Aberdeen’s International Business Park gets a Sustainable Drainage (SuDS) scheme using Up-Flo™ Filter and Hydro Biofilter™ technologies to…
What maintenance is required?
Maintenance consists of removing sediments, floatable trash, oils, and other debris from the sump with a standard sump vac or vactor truck. The media bags are easily replaced by hand, with no heavy lifting equipment required. Chamber configurations that eliminate the need for confined space entry or that provide working platforms can be provided.
Can the Up-Flo® Filter accept two inlet pipes?
Multiple inlets can be accommodated in some instances. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss your specific requirements.
What size inlet/outlet pipe is acceptable?
The Up-Flo® Filter can accept 15 in or 24 in inlet and outlet pipes, depending on configuration. Please refer to the Technical information tab of the Product Page.
What are the removal efficiencies for oil, metals and nutrients?
The precise removal efficiency is dependent upon particle size and specific gravity of the pollutant, in addition to the flow rate of the stormwater runoff. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss your specific pollutant removal requirements.
What sizes are available?
The Up-Flo® Filter is available in a standard 1.8 m / 4 ft manhole configuration, as well as a range of vault configurations. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss your specific requirements.